top of page
Virtual Organ Concert
Nathaniel Licht performs on the Museum's very own Wurlitzer Theater Organ originally from the Latonia Theater on Oil City's South Side.
Funding for this project has been provided by the Pennsylvania Humanities Council and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) as part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act of 2020.
The Museum & the Organ
The Museum acquired the Latonia's 1928 Wurlitzer Organ in 1988. Thousands of hours of volunteer and professional labor were required to restore the organ, which includes more than 600 separate pipes, as well as numerous sound effects and percussion instruments.
Visit the Museum today and ask the front desk attendant for a live demonstration of the organ during your visit!
The Latonia Theater
Above: Janie movie ticket from the Latonia Theater when it was operated by Warner Brothers in 1944. Ticket from the Museum's collection.
Above: interior of the Latonia Theater.
Photo on display in the Venango Museum's
permanent exhibit - Oil: Black Gold or
Constructed by L.O. Bouquin Co. for a group of local investors, the Grand Opening of the theater was held March 4, 1929. The theater seated 500 on the balcony (admission 25 cents) and 960 on the first floor (admission 50 cents). There were also 60 deluxe seats in the loge, part of the balcony next to the stage. Falling on hard times a few years later, it was mortgaged to local banks and reopened. Warner Brothers purchased the building around 1942 and it closed for the final time in the early 1970s.
bottom of page