top of page
Search

Lights, Camera, Oil!

ree

ree

On July 22nd, the Museum was pleased to host a silent film showing of the 1922

comedy, Grandma's Boy by Harold Lloyd. The film was accompanied by organist Eric Cook, who played our 1928 Wurlitzer organ. To celebrate another wonderful showing in our Silent Film Series here at the Museum, our staff wanted to discuss the time a movie was filmed here — in the Oil Region!


There are still three opportunities for you to see a silent film at the Museum! We will be showing The Black Pirate in

September, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in October, and Two Tars in November. Spots are limited and filling quickly, so please call the Museum's front desk or follow this link to get your tickets in advance!


Location, Location, Location!


In the Spring of 1922, the Sinclair Oil Company approached Edwin Bell to find a location where they could shoot a feature film entitled The World Struggle for Oil. There are also records that say the title was The World's Struggle for Oil.


The film, a documentary, was described as being a “chronicle” of the oil industry and the "historical fight" to harness the power of crude oil and petroleum. The Sinclair Oil Company was in charge of making the movie. They intended to show the film to the United States Bureau of Mines, where the film was eventually donated.


ree


A photo of Beers Camp after the replica of Drake Well was created.
A photo of Beers Camp after the replica of Drake Well was created.

In the search for the perfect location, filmmakers and Edwin Bell first considered Drake Well. However, it was said that filmmakers received opposition from the Daughters of the American Revolution, who were the owners of the Drake Well property at the time. Because of this, those involved decided to film in an area along Cherry Run between Plumer and Rouseville. 



The Beers family.
The Beers family.

The area was owned by Percy Beers. Beers and his family had already made careers in oil production along this stretch of Cherry Run and its nearby tributary, Moody Run. They first found success in the 1860s.


The filmmakers arrived, constructed a set with the help of local manpower, and filmed through the Spring and Summer of 1922. Upon the completion of filming in 1922, the Beers family converted the set into a resort-like setting, which became known as Beers Camp. 


Places Everyone!


Barges were also constructed to demonstrate what early life was like in the Oil Region.
Barges were also constructed to demonstrate what early life was like in the Oil Region.

To prepare the Beers' land for shooting, a hyper-realistic set was created. It was made to look identical to the site where Col. Drake first struck oil. Percy Beers hired Oma Turk, George Campbell, and Bill Fornof, all men from Plumer and the local area, to build the replica of Drake Well. It was also noted that Bob Branon and Ted Foster of Rouseville Drilling Company helped dam off Cherry Run, creating a pond used in filming. Barges were also built, which re-created what early life on an oil waterway would have looked like. Wagons, which teamsters used to haul products, were also created for the set. 


Builders working on constructing a spring pole rig for the film.
Builders working on constructing a spring pole rig for the film.

Builders took extra attention to period-accurate details, such as spring poles. The men constructed a spring pole rig, which was how drilling was performed in the 1860s. Oma Turk’s crew is mainly credited with the majority of the building and set construction. Descendants of the first drillers also helped with construction, such as Sam Smith, the son of “Uncle” Billy Smith, one of those who originally helped to drill Drake Well in 1859. Sam was said to have worked in the oil industry since his youth, and was credited with helping “his father sink [their] first well.” 


ree


Filmmaker H. C. Butler preparing the camera before shooting.
Filmmaker H. C. Butler preparing the camera before shooting.

A filmmaker from New York named H. C. Butler was hired to shoot the film. Edwin C. Bell, a man credited with creating the first Drake Well Memorial Museum in 1913, was in attendance for the film shooting, along with Sam Smith. Both of these men were credited as “technical consultants” after filming was completed.




The construction crew can be seen posing for a picture the day the set was completed.
The construction crew can be seen posing for a picture the day the set was completed.

The film was admired for being “as authentic as possible.” The actors for the film were local to the region. Most actors also had an extensive background in oil. George Campbell and Oma Turk played Uncle Billy and Sam Smith, respectively, in scenes which recreated Drake’s first successful attempts at drilling. Both men were highly knowledgeable about building rigs and drilling. Even the tools used for the shoot were original tools, made by Uncle Billy, and used by both he and Col. Drake in 1859!



A scene from the film that portrays a snake oil salesman.
A scene from the film that portrays a snake oil salesman.

The film was not limited to only the drilling of oil, but also early life in the Oil Region and historical uses of oil. One such scene took place with a Seneca snake oil peddler, who sold such oils for their medicinal qualities and special healing powers. 


ree


The crowd of people who attended the filming on August 26, 1922. Over 1,000 people were in attendance, each having a spot in the film.
The crowd of people who attended the filming on August 26, 1922. Over 1,000 people were in attendance, each having a spot in the film.

To help gather enough extras for the film, Edwin Bell created the “Drake Day Association” to help raise funds for the construction of a museum. This crowd was also used to create a crowd for certain scenes in the film.


Guests were encouraged to attend the shoot in period-appropriate attire. More than 1,000 people attended festivities and filming. 


J.P. Russell of Plumer portrayed Col. Drake. The Ladies’ Auxiliary of Plumer provided food and beverages for filmmakers. In total, the segment of the film that took place in Oil City was around twenty minutes long. 


That's a Wrap!


A group of people can be seen canoeing and swimming at the pond at Beers Camp.
A group of people can be seen canoeing and swimming at the pond at Beers Camp.

The completed film was only shown in Oil City once, fifty years after the initial filming in 1972, when the Heritage Society hosted a showing at the YWCA. It was said that people in the crowd recognized their ancestors and relatives during the showing, and many requested for it to be shown again! Over 300 people were in attendance. After the film's donation to the Bureau of Mines, it was placed into the National Archives, where it continues to reside. 


ree

After filming was complete, the Beers Camp continued to serve the community in Oil City as a restaurant, hangout spot, and venue. The area was known to be a popular resort. The pond, originally created for the film, was deepened, and a diving platform was added. 

The replica of Drake Well was converted into a barbecue restaurant, and a pavilion was added for dancing and large parties. Beers Camp was eventually sold and reopened as “Morgans.” In 1942, a fire burned the establishment down, and the proprietors decided against rebuilding. Over the forty years, Beers Camp and eventually Morgans were located in the Oil Region, and it garnered somewhat of a “shady” reputation. Pennzoil eventually purchased the property and used the area for a trucking depot.




This gallery includes photos from the 1922 filming of The World Struggle for Oil, as well as news article clippings from the history of Beers Camp and eventually, Morgans.


Thanks for reading!


Did you enjoy this post? Please consider supporting the Museum by making a monetary contribution by clicking the button below, so we can continue to provide content for learning and discovery.




 
 
 

Comments


brand (2).png
  • Instagram
  • facebook-square

E-news sign up!

Thanks for subscribing!

bottom of page